At insitro, we are shaping the future of drug discovery by combining human biology and machine learning to discover new therapeutics. At the heart of our strategy is the true partnership between various disciplines and expertises to produce large and high quality data sets that will drive machine learning and yield key biological insights.
You will be joining a highly collaborative and dynamic research environment where we aim to advance the rate of scientific discovery using purposefully built solutions. You will work closely with a very talented team of distinguished scientists and engineers.
You will directly contribute to shaping insitro’s culture, strategic direction, and outcomes, with many opportunities for significant and diverse impact
across several functions and disciplines.
With long-term stability thanks to significant funding, this is an exciting time to join us in leading the way to better medicines, with the integration of machine learning and biology at scale.
The Data Engineering team is seeking a talented and highly motivated software analyst to join us in designing and developing the critical lab software applications supporting our scientific goals.
The successful candidate will develop a deep understanding of our scientist’s needs to design scalable solutions towards the generation of high dimensional, high quality experimental data for all phases of drug discovery workflows. As an analyst, you will:
- Work closely with our scientists to understand complex workflows (both ‘as-is’ and ‘to-be’), and elicit requirements accurately representing their needs.
- Document, analyze and synthesize those requirements across functions, and communicate them with various teams.
- Develop high quality documentation supporting on-spec and on-time software delivery, including detailed user stories and lab workflows, as well as wireframes and test cases.
- Leverage your deep understanding of requirements to anticipate and uncover emerging and unforeseen needs.
- Be a critical liaison between the lab and software engineers to design and deliver fit-for-purpose solutions that enhance our ability to acquire, store, transform, visualize and analyze lab data.
- Ensure the solutions delivered solve current problems, but are flexible enough to address future scientific and technological directions.
- Lead efforts to harmonize and optimize business processes across project teams and functions to reduce the complexity of software solutions and establish best-in-class lab data policies.
- Manage the lifecycle of the applications from ideation to operations, including leading user acceptance testing, tracking enhancements and issues for continuous process improvements.
In building our team, we look for people who share the collaborative, rigorous and scientific spirit of our culture. The successful candidate will possess:
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in computational or life sciences, or equivalent experience / education.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience, as an analyst or software engineer, within a scientific or laboratory environment, preferably involving all phases of software lifecycle.
- Proven track record of leading complex scientific informatics projects.
- A bias to action, and the ability to operate effectively under an ambiguous, rapidly changing environment, with a strong learning mindset and attention to details.
- Excellent analytical and synthesis skills, with the ability to understand complex scientific problems and collaboratively develop reliable solutions that evolve predictably in a rapidly changing environment.
- Strong track record in producing high quality detailed software requirements, user stories, business processes, and/or software specifications for both custom and Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) systems.
- Demonstrated success working independently on initiatives of high complexity, uncertainty, and risk with minimal guidance and direction.
- A pragmatic mindset about the tradeoffs between features, quality, and timelines.
- Ability to communicate effectively and collaborate with audiences of diverse backgrounds, expertise and roles.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish solid relationships and elicit cooperation from a variety of stakeholders
Nice to Haves:
- Wet lab experience in an early stage research or drug discovery environment.
- Familiarity, or exposure, to cell culture, high-throughput screening, imaging, sequencing and functional assays, and their related computational methods.
- Experience in high-end engineering technologies in the biotechnology space
- Familiarity with tools such as Jira, Confluence
Benefits at insitro
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy
- Team lunches (catered daily)
- Commuter benefits
- Paid parental leave
insitro is a drug discovery and development company using machine learning and data generation at scale to transform the way that drugs are discovered and delivered to patients. We rely on human genetic cohorts, human-derived cellular disease models, and high-throughput biology and chemistry to identify coherent patient segments, actionable therapeutic targets, and new or existing chemical matter. The goal is to deliver predictive insights to improve the probability of success and reduce the number of costly dead ends along the R&D journey. The company has established enabling collaborations with Gilead in NASH and Bristol Myers Squibb in ALS and is building a pipeline of wholly owned and partnered medicines leveraging its unique insights on patient biomarkers, targets, and molecules. insitro is located in South San Francisco, CA and has raised over $600M from top tech, biotech, and crossover investors since formation in 2018. For more information on insitro, please visit the company’s website at www.insitro.com.